Thursday, February 28, 2008

all my flash people stand up!

yoyoyoyoyo

SO for the record. who fucks with Flash? I know R2 is up in that shit right now, and I know he ain't the only one. Whose down with actionscript? I am becoming so. I'm mad deep in it right now too - I'm about to finish my first flash website. VisualInfinity dot com, but it's not there yet. Basically what I did was thoroughly pimp a preexisting template that my client had. Or, to be more precise via an analogy: once you've taken apart and put back together every component of a bike, you pretty much know how to build one from scratch.

So what are your flash projects that you're currently working on? What are your flash hopes and dreams that you'd do if you had a crack team of flash ninjas at your disposal? Me, I'd make an open-source data visualization engine, and then ppl could use it for the following imaginary purposes (web 3.0, what now!?):

  • A program that takes your myspace, facebook, or whathaveyour account and creates a solar system of your friends, with their proximity to you based on your amount of interaction with them and the size of their planetoid being the amount of content they have in their profile. rate of spin is how often they update. Browse your network in a rocketship.
  • OR (different application) Feed it census data, and have it display it as a garden.
  • Or use it to organize your files in 3-d space (with wormholes!)! Keep track of scattered bits of text, images, sounds and movie files you want to incorporate into a larger project. in 3-d space.
  • Organize every idea you've ever had. (using a bigass multitouch diaplay (make your own!), naturally).
  • BROWSE FILES LIKE THEY DO IN HACKERS.
These are my techno-weeny wet dreams. Tell me yours.

Also, speaking of flash, scriptaculous is a good way to do some basic basic flash moves with javascript and ajax. Like having things on a website fade in and out with a click, or zoom off screen, etc, all without reloading the page. Here's one page (of many) demonstrating all teh sweet moves you can bust, basically by copying and pasting code they give you.
Roger is schooling me in these ways, and I will have the results of my first foray into that tomorrow.

oh! More Flash ninja-ery! (that roger told me about). behold, TWEENER!
From the site:

Tweener is a Class used to create tweenings and other transitions via ActionScript code for projects built on the Flash platform.

Tweener basicallly let's you tween things in flash using actionscript and setting the numbers for everything, instead of using the timeline. But here's the kicker: it's ported to javascript, which you can use to manipulate parts of a website. Much like scriptaculous, you once again have flash without flash.

Oh and finally, I made a new portfolio with some new shit. Nothing crazy, but a hell of a lot more professional than telling ppl to go to my flickr site, and see a buncha pictures of my houseparties. But not all the new shit is up there yet, I'll let you know when it is. I used carbonmade, a nice free and very web 2.0 portfolio-making site which some of y'all may find useful as well. Says it does flash and video portfolios to, but i haven't looked into it. Squidelephant.Carbonmade.com, yo.

And I'm out.

3 comments:

bearvsgriffin said...

YeS! Music to my ears to hear of your courtship with actionscript.
I've been trying to learn AS 3.0 this past week whenever I get a free moment but aparently the syntax between 3.0 and 2.0 is VERY different and strange to me.
I will persevere!

Crazy flash projects on my dome?
- Well ... there is a ip networking feature in the LASER TAG 2.0 program that apparently you can send to Flash with... that would be very dope to have it draw animated objects following certain actionscript parameters wherever you shoot the laser. Kind of like what the click function does in this.

-Interactive flash games featuring graphics of you and your friends.

Me and Andreas have been scheming about trying to figure out how to decomile or reverse engineer the code for people's flash games so that we can replace the graphics with our own ones.
It seems like it would be rowdy to show up at a party and take pictures of the members of a band and insert them into a mario brothers side scroller or a virtual flash game that uses head tracking technology.

I'm thinking big, but I'm thinking flash. and its 08 and ... yea !!

ps. and yes, TWEENER is the shit. It is a much more customizable alternative to doing all your tweens by hand on the timeline. Check out this tutorial on using TWEENER.
And also THIS ONE which talks about using Photoshop, afterFX, Flash, actionscript, and tweener all together in a super rad cohesive package. THUMBS UP!

Xirtus said...

this is a good sign. we need to have a triangular trade of actionscriptness...

evan did you see the video of the wiimote, cause yeah greenscreening people and turning them into video clips or animated gifs of people to replace video game characters like in clarissa explains it all would be that which we've been trying to accomplish. that an we really need to be making more flash art cause that sells... just working with print designers and people who make physical art to create something animate.

bearvsgriffin said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAFnFp1DNw

remember this shit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRxUb3YdV8

I have to laugh with how similar of a thing it is we're trying to pull off. The only problem with Nickelodeons model was they weren't independent and getting Tryphy in the bay area. Oh, yea and the glitch had not yet been popularized to breezies yet though either.

* * *

As far as further flash wet dreams are concerned. I'm really hoping that we are a group can pull together a bitchin web eZine going.

Right now we have enough developing content and capable minds to mash together and put up a Portland Minibike Winter eZine.
We filmed interviews of people that came from Santa Cruz about their thoughts and perspectives surrounding the experience.

I've been hoping a good excuse would come along that could bring together:
1.) people, and the things that make them them
2.) new AWESOME music (perhaps created by the aforementioned people or at least similarly minded people)
3.) new AWESOME media
a. drawings->paitings->interactive flash environments with TEXTURE AND SOULand all that spicy stuff!
b. video, vlogs, raw quick edits, polished pristine HD well-lit and prepared movies
c. screen prints, clothes, hats with characters sewed onto them and narwallagraphic projections digitally embroidered on as LED patches

I DONT KNOW! the sky is clearly the limit and my concern is now more all about preparing a great setting, with great people, using great tools that they themselves have put love and comprehension into, who are just down to kick-ass and have a great time.


i luv my family,