Wednesday, May 21, 2008

linux are ready for you... but is you ready for linux?

I'm suprised I get to be the first person to say the massive looks beautiful. I was watching as you were uploading it, seeing it get better. I kind of respect that sort of communicatable silence. Once you finished I took it and put it into arkaos, bending it and mashing it with the face of the panchen lama (not the communist chinese puppet, the original panchen lama the chinese babylon kidnapped)

If you think I have been ignoring you, I have not. as I'm sure at least you [r2] are with recording, I am as well rather busy. spending a lot of time with maitland these days, and finally doing some yoga.... thank god!

One thing that irritates me is how much apple sucks... I hate to admit it, but time to... apple used to be cool, and they still have cool things, I still prefer apple imove08 and fcp over cinelarra or kino or something, but the thing about apple is its proprietary, and has to spend too much time fucking around... apple is 10 percent linux and 90 percent bullshit. I learned this the one time I tried to INSTALL a family guy episode on iTunes... when you need to INSTALL a movie, thats bullshit...

so in case anyone needed to know, linux is fully operational with KDE4. I have compiled a disk which should have out of box support on just about any computer. That means you should be able to just pop the disk in and in 5 minutes have glossly opensource wifi-supported goodness. comes with firefox3 and the new oxygen theme (better than apple aqua in a lot of ways, and completely open/manipulatable) as well as VLC, amarok (a itunes REPLACEMENT) k9copy for dvd and mp4 ripping.

Once again, out of the box, even in a shit old computer, you should be able to do at least everything you do on a proprietary system: all internet, all dvd/cd reading, writing, games and much more. I mean MUCH more (and that doesn't even count wine)

Gimp is surprisingly powerful, it really shocked me, in a lot of ways it outdoes photoshop, you should really look it up... and Karbon is the vector software R2 needs...

-and wine works surprisingly well to read windows applications natively in linux. I didn't expect much, but apparently wine is used by warcraft and other video game enthusiasts so the demands are strong... I'm suprised that it can just read windows files, without windows... legally... its baffling me...

just imagine running windows CS3 natively on a linux system, after effects and all... or maybe sony vegas or acid? how about ableton? I mean I can't actually think of any other windows programs you'd want, but I'm sure there are actually quite a few you wouldnt mind running...


also kde4 can run on mac, so anything linux not compiled for mac (not that theres much you can't compile from source onto mac) you can just run it natively now in mac. Linux is just blurring the lines with reality...


I've also been trying to deal with my traffic violations, court is nonsense... I have to go again on tuesday morning and then again next tuesday...


OKAY NASA PEOPLE CALLED, CARI SENT ME THIS EMAIL

heres a little somethin something...________________________________________________

On May 19, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Matthew D. Hancher wrote:

Hi everyone!


NASA is inviting us all over for dinner on Thursday, June 5th, starting at 7:00pm, here at Ames!


We'll get to talk about how Yuri's Night went this year, celebrate all your hard work, reminisce about the good times, and start thinking about the high-level plan for 2009!


That's right, NASA's already starting to think about next year, so if you want to make sure it's going to be totally awesome, now's the perfect time to let them know your thoughts!


There will be both vegetarian and vegan food available.


This should be lots of fun! Please come if you can, and help us make sure Yuri's Night just keeps getting better and better!


Please let us know whether or not you'll be able to make it by sending email to info@yurisnightbayarea.com , so we make sure we have the right amount of food. Thanks!


See you soon!


Matt

Oops, I forgot one more very important thing:


Feel free to invite other Yuri's-Night-related people to join us for dinner! Do you want to reward some of your crew for working extra hard? Are there some Yuri's Night artists, musicians, tech presenters, performers, or any other folks who you think would enjoy a peek behind the scenes? Now's your chance! As long as we know about it soon, we can make room for anyone you want to bring.


But, you must lest us know soon so NASA can get enough food!


See you soon!



________________________________________________

I dunno but I think maybe we could go... Not sure what you think but we might be able to get into some circles or trapazoids... at least a hexagon ...

again

THURSDAY JUNE 5th @ 7



if you want to go let me know so I can let Cari know, evidently we should tell them soon...


hit me up

4 comments:

bearvsgriffin said...

We should absolutely be a part of the group that sets up the next Yuri's night.
Smurf, you were talking about a lot of stuff at Yuri's night that legitimately would have made that party 50 times better. We don't have to go full bore or anything but there can at least has to be multiple cameras going wirelessly back into multiple VJ stations both running Kde4 with wine running PC Grand VJ studio. all hd, with hd projectors. we could probably even request a controllable robotic projector mount. just like they have for professional stage lights, projections are just more practical.


yo mad zach, you should come to the Yuri's dinner, maybe we can even ask Cari if you can play a set. Methinks this is quite possible and would be a good crowd to go big with. they're nasa.

bearvsgriffin said...

also there are a fistful of PC only music software that I love.

Acid, Soundforge, Fruityloops, all the free plugins from tweakbench.org


My friend that I play death metal with has a really souped up gaming laptop, super fast, 3 gigs of ram, nice sound card.
He was complaining that it needed to be worked on and completely reformatted. sounds like an aweosme KDE4 workstation.

Xirtus said...

now that idea really excites me...

is it ati or nvidia? I hear ati is like, opening up to the open sourceness, not that nvidia wouldn't work just as well...

Relgar said...

so what do we need to do to confirm this NASA dinner???